Tuesday 13 April 2010

Q&A WITH CAMPAIGNER DARREN FRIPP


Hello Darren. And who are you?

I’m just a normal guy looking to help people less fortunate than me.


I can imagine. Tell us about your campaign?

Well, I recently went to a Blackstreet concert and loved it! My fiancée is a big fan, and I got the tickets for her as an Easter present. I thought they were great. A few days later my fiancée and I went to see “The Blind Side” and it got me thinking – why not set up something similar to RAM4XMAS which was a similar campaign that got huge success last Christmas and raised a lot of money for charity.


Did you think your campaign will be as big as RAM4XMAS?

No. Not at all. I mean that was up against the X-Factor winner, and it was over Christmas. Blackstreet are up against nobodies and its Spring, so there isn’t a lot of competition out there at the moment, which is a good thing for us. I am going to try my best and get people to buy the single and raise money for registered charity – Crisis. Because I think both deserve it. All I’m going to do is set up this campaign and get people to join me. If it works, great, if it doesn’t, I haven’t lost anything, but it’s not about me, it’s about doing something for charity, I can’t express this enough. All I want to say is that if people done it for RAM4XMAS then they can also do it for Blackstreet.


Your main rivals will be everyone in the charts trying to get to No. 1. What's your opinion on today’s charts?

To be honest, I don’t even know who is No. 1 at the moment. It changes so much these days there seems to be a number No.1 each week from some artist no one has every heard of, and before you know it they’ve released an album? Come on! Songs back in the 80’s and 90’s were from well-known artists who stayed at the top of the charts for weeks.


Why “Money Can’t Buy Me Love”?

I think it was the best version I’ve heard of it. I know it’s a Beatles song, and when Blackstreet sang it, I was trying to figure out where I’d heard it before. Then it clicked “That sounds like The Beatles”. I’ve started to like Blackstreet more, and I would really love for them to get another #1 single. It’s a great song.


What would you say to people yet to buy the single?

PLEASE! PLEASE! BUY IT! We want Blackstreet to be #1 in the charts. People who aren't major Blackstreet fans should start buying it anyway, just because they are sick of the usual rubbish that’s in the charts. I want to create a massive buzz over the download chart, that otherwise would be quiet this time of year.


And on a rather encouraging note, you've asked your members to donate to the charity Crisis?

Yes, because I wanted to do something for charity and after the success of RAM4XMAS last year, I thought, why not do the same. A lot of people like Blackstreet and a lot of people like to help other people. So why not combine the both at the same time and do something worthwhile.
We want to help raise £150,000 which would be just fantastic! We're encouraging people who want to give; to give.


Good luck Darren! We'll have all fingers crossed for you!

You can support the cause by buying the single from any of these following locations:
HMV and itunes

No comments:

Post a Comment